Sunday, October 4, 2015

Violence

You know, there are moments when I read something and I feel the immediate need to share. This just occurred as I read some of Weber's Peasants Into Frenchmen
 

Take note of the dates associated with the text as I explain this awesome story. So, apparently French villages liked other French villages about as much as hipster coffee dude likes Starbucks ( I like both btw). To often settle inter-village conflict by actually going into physical battle... Described as a struggle with massive injury using staves, stones, cudgels, gouging, and biting. Yep, if Jean in one village thought Louis in another gave him the stink eye... Each village would basically assault each other until they got worn out. This was the 19th century btw, not the Middle Ages lol. Gotta love history.

No comments:

Post a Comment